With Myers on the shelf, Philly's in search of starting pitching
The Phillies were scouring the trade market for starting pitching help even before
Amaro made what may be the best winter pickup by signing
The Phillies do have enough decent, young players and prospects to make a trade work. Multitalented outfielder
Peavy is the logical fit for the Phillies. However, he has full no-trade veto power. To this point, there's no indication Peavy has any interest in coming to the East Coast, especially to a team in a clear hitters' park. (While agent
Beyond Peavy, some other possibilities include Oswalt (though the Astros historically don't like to sell their stars), Lee if he hits the market (the Indians are still a ways from that call, but they continue to look star-crossed, with
While some might assume the Phillies would prefer a right-hander to go with ace
Fired Rockies manager
Hurdle's a great guy, but the stark reality is that in those eight years, Hurdle posted only one winning season. In one especially harsh assessment, one competing executive said, "[Hurdle] had 22 great games, and that was the only highlight," referring to the 21 victories in 22 games that took the Rockies on their improbable ride to the World Series in 2007. That's a little unfair, as Hurdle was handicapped by low payrolls in recent years (the Monfort brothers have scaled back considerably).
But Hurdle, never a great strategist, didn't appear to be inspiring his young troops this year, signaling the end. The Rockies have to be better than this.
Torre's not going to want to give up a great seven-month job (eight with October) with reasonable hours and high pay, and there's no reason he should. I think he's gotten even better since getting to L.A. The job he and a very strong coaching staff (including
• Aggressive White Sox GM
• The Jays actually made a bigger push this winter for
• Good to see the excitement created by the callup of catching phenom
• The Newark Bears have quite a collection of ex-big leaguers, with
• Congrats to incomparable Mets public relations man
• Gutsy performance by
• Honest Jerry Manuel conceded there will be "growing pains" while they wait for
• Meanwhile, the Angels' bullpen has been nothing short of awful. While closer
• Some contending teams who might need bullpen help: Angels, Rangers, Cubs, Yankees, Indians.
• The Yankees have tied the MLB record by making no errors in 17 straight games. Pressure's on now.
• Teams whose attendance is way up in this bad economic time include Tampa Bay, Philly, Milwaukee, Kansas City and Texas. The first three had big years last year, K.C. has virtually a new park and Texas is turning the corner to contention.
• It's a shame in some ways that
• Very encouraging for the Tigers to see
• Recent Twitter endorsements from