Why looks matter in scheduling, delicate topics and more mail
WIMBLEDON, England -- Here's a Monday baguette, or, as reader
• Again, don't underestimate the impact of television. If a major rights holder requests a certain player at a certain time, it usually gets him.
Far as I'm concerned,
• No, of course not. A few of you noted that line. Please be assured it applied only to tennis, much the same way we might wish
Incidentally, here's Oudin speaking on this very topic:
Q. There's so many great athletes who are so tall. Talk about your size, your height. Is that something that you use in some way as a positive? What is your approach?
OUDIN: I mean, there's not much I can do about my height, you know. I wish I'd be a little bit taller, but there are advantages and disadvantages. You know, I mean, I take what I have and I do the best I can with it. I think speed is my key thing. I have to be quick on the court because I'm not going to be, uhm, a lot bigger. I'm not going to get a lot bigger either.
Oudin incidentally leaves here with her head high -- no pun intended -- despite losing today to Radwanksa in the fourth round.
... and speaking of delicate topics:
I was just reading the transcript of
Q. Is that the first time your monthly cycle has affected you so dramatically like that?
JANKOVIC: No, I never had problem like that in the past. It was my first time experience, so...
• Disagree. Can't say this is anyone's favorite conversation topic (insert
• Mono. Ah, mono.
• You had me up until the very end. Yes, we should point out that the "seeding formula" is used only for the men. And yes, it wouldn't hurt to use it for the women. But there's no back room cloak-and-dagger stuff. The WTA board and the players both requested that seedings mirror rankings. In some egregious cases (i.e.
• Very nice line on the speed limit, but her serve was mostly in the 90s today. While A-Rad could indeed use some more wattage, I suspect she won't "sink like a Vaidisova" for this reason: She's probably the most consistent ballstriker in tennis today. Just dead-eye accuracy. Plus she really understands the game. Consistent ball-striking plus shrewd tactics doesn't equal Major titles. But she could put together a very nice career.
• Much as we like Murray...
• Random request: Is there a reader from Lisbon, Portugal out there?
• Nice line from
• Today's Long Lost Siblings from