VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Forget the NFL, and apologies to baseball:
Alpine skiing has become our national pastime.
At least that's the case this week. The silver-bronze finish by
The debate could end today. No American female skier has ever won three medals in one Olympics, but
Other medals include men's and women's short track speedskating.
• China and Australia are in a heated battle for women's aerials (1 p.m.) superiority, with China's
• The women's super-G -- a shorter downhill run with the turns of a giant slalom -- is Vonn's best remaining event. The race (which starts at 1 p.m.) isn't Mancuso's specialty, but she's been terrific in Vancouver and must be considered a medal threat. The usual suspects include Sweden's
• It's another men's hockey tripleheader at Canada's Hockey Place:
- Norway vs. Switzerland (3 p.m.): The Swiss, back on the ice after its rousing performance against Canada, should hold off Norway (0-2), which has been outscored 14-1.
- Latvia vs. Slovakia (6:30 p.m.): Slovakia (1-1), the giant-killers of the Olympics after defeating Russia in a shootout Thursday, should have little trouble against Latvia (0-2)
- Germany vs. Belarus (midnight): The also-rans of Group C meet up in a game that should draw huge ratings in Berlin and Minsk. Not so much in the States.
• The U.S. has a legit chance to go 1-2 in men's 1,500 long-track speedskating (7:15 p.m.), with
• Some top contenders have pulled out of the two-man bobsled (competition starts at 8 p.m.), including Switzerland's
• Switzerland (1-2) takes on China (0-3) in women's hockey classification play (5:30 p.m.), followed by Russia (1-2) against Slovakia (0-3) at 10 p.m.
• In a Winter Games in which the Americans have dominated, curling has become the ugly stepbrother. The U.S. men (1-4) play Sweden today at noon while the U.S. women (1-3) face Great Britain at 5 p.m.
• "Are we going to live in fear of that or are we going to accept it? Or you can quit, which is the third option. It's a dangerous sport -- we all know this. We're going 90-plus miles per hour and either you're loving it or you shouldn't really be in here in my opinion. It's fast, it's challenging. That's why most of us do it. I love it and I live for the fear and the rush." -- U.S. bobsledder
• "Well, this is humbling. I'm just a doctor." VANOC Chief Medical Officer