Solution to Ivanovic's struggles; Blake vs. Shriver; more Wimbledon
• All jokes aside, what if Ivanovic's sponsors and the WTA got together and said: "Clearly this is a wayward ship, Ana. You need to take some time off, consult a sports psychologist, rediscover your game and come back at the beginning of 2011. We don't ordinarily relieve players of commitments and suspend contractual obligations but enough already. This business of losing week-in, week-out, falling deeper into the abyss, being forced to smile through the postmortem, does no one any good. Not you, Ana. Not women's tennis. Not the sponsors. You clearly have talent. You had already reached two Grand Slam finals and had won all manner of titles before the 2008 French Open. On ball-striking alone you should be a top-10 player. Take a break. Clear your head. And launch career 2.0."
• I feel for Federer here. I know a lot of you knock him for arrogance, but there's a fine line between modesty and false modesty. The guy's won 16 slams; he's entitled to a) a little swagger and b) echo common sentiment. He plays an unbelievable match and says, "I played an unbelievable match." So much? Give me that over his winning 6-2, 6-2 and saying sheepishly, "It was closer than the score indicated. Andy played well. There's still a lot I need to work on."
• Someone help me out here. I believe in the early '90s,
• Several of you mentioned that. And I gather
• Thus, putting the "a man" in Amanmuradova.
• OK, but Sampras was hardly in the prime of his career the way Federer is. In fact, Sampras hadn't won a major since Wimbledon of 2000 a full two years prior. And he was north of 30. Big difference between that and being the defending champ and top seed.
Trivia: who coached
• I'm of two minds here. Yes, it's odd that Henin was banished to the hinterlands. On the other hand, I like that casual fans who happened to be at the right place at the right time had the opportunity to see a legend up close and personal.
• If I'm Blake, I go high road here.
• Thanks to
• Noting that
• Georgia Tech's