Official bowl bids are slowly trickling in, and as of writing this Wednesday night, I'd correctly tabbed the first eight. Having said that, I've made several revisions elsewhere since Sunday based on the latest chatter across the business.
• Reports out of Atlanta on Saturday indicate the Outback Bowl, ever the contrarian, is leaning toward 7-5 Florida over 9-4 South Carolina, which shook up my projections for that and several other SEC bowls.
• The ACC's entire lineup is becoming almost impossible to predict. It starts with the uncertainty regarding the Champs Sports Bowl, which holds the third pick and is deciding between NC State and Maryland. If it goes with the Wolfpack (as I expect), the Terps, plagued by poor home attendance this season, may fall all the way to the ACC's eighth pick, the Military Bowl in nearby Washington D.C.
• Meanwhile, Miami (7-5) was initially expected to plummet following the ouster of Randy Shannon, but word is the Sun Bowl, which picks right after the Champs, is still focused on the Hurricanes, especially since the CBS-televised game may be looking at an at-large team from the MAC as the other participant.
• As always, it's important to remember that most bowls are
• The necessary 70 teams are already eligible, and as many as four more could get there this weekend. However, I'm projecting the final number to be 71, with 6-6 Western Michigan the lone team left out.