Friday July 18th, 2014

The University of Connecticut settled a federal lawsuit filed by five women who said the school responded to their sexual assault complaints with indifference, reports the Associated Press.

According to the report, the school will pay almost $1.3 million, including $900,000 to a former Connecticut hockey player who said she was kicked off the team after reporting she had been raped by a male hockey player. The other four women will receive payments ranging from $25,000 to $125,000.

The school admitted no wrongdoing, saying it settled "solely for the purpose of avoiding the expense and inconvenience of litigating disputed claims."

The Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights released a list of colleges in May that are currently under a Title IX investigation for possible violations of federal law over their handling of sexual violence and harassment complaints.

There are 55 schools on the list, including Connecticut. The Department of Education began their investigation of UConn, which is still ongoing, last December.  

More from the AP:

"It was clear to all parties that no good would have come from dragging this out for years as it consumed the time, attention and resources — both financial and emotional — of everyone involved," said Larry McHugh, the chairman of the school's Board of Trustees. "In order to do this, compromise was required on both sides, which is reflected in the settlement. I hope this resolution will help the students find closure on this issue."

- Scooby Axson

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.