Mavericks forward Chandler Parsons 'offended' by Rockets

Tuesday July 15th, 2014

Dallas Mavericks forward Chandler Parsons says he was "offended" by the way the Houston Rockets went about their process to find a third star to play along side Dwight Howard and James Harden.

Houston aggressively tried to sign free-agents Chris Bosh and Carmelo Anthony and ended up signing none of them. Bosh re-signed with the Miami Heat, and Anthony decided to stay with the New York Knicks.

"Honestly, I was offended by the whole process," Parsons told Yahoo Sports. "They publicly said that they were going out looking for a third star when I thought they had one right in front of them. I guess that's just how they viewed me as a player. I don't think I've scratched the surface of where I can be as a player and I think I'm ready for that role."

MORE NBA COVERAGE: Free agent tracker Grading every deal so far

The Rockets decided not to match the Mavericks' three-year, $46 million offer sheet for Parsons, instead signing former Washington Wizards forward Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32 million deal.

"You can't knock them for always trying to get better. [Houston general manager] Daryl Morey is very aggressive, is a genius, a great GM and I have nothing but respect for those guys," Parsons said. "And they are looking to make their team better. That's what they were doing. I just thought I could be that guy that could do that."

Parsons, 25, averaged 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game last season.

- Scooby Axson

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.