Friday August 8th, 2014

P.J. Hairston's court date over a July incident in which he allegedly assaulted a 17-year-old during a pickup game has been moved to Sept. 12.

Hairston had been ordered to appear in Durham County court on Aug. 8 to face misdemeanor assault charges. Hairston's lawyer said the court date could also be moved to October.

Hairston apologized to Hornets fans after the incident, calling it a "distraction".

Hairston's agent, Juan Morrow, said Hairston threw a punch at Kentrell Barkley, the 17-year-old in question, but that it was in retaliation to Barkley punching Hairston. Barkley said he did not provoke Hairston.

More: Eight tips to help rookies survive NBA​

Hairston, 21, was acquired by the Hornets in a draft-night trade with the Heat.

Hairston has been involved in a string of off-court incidents over the past year, including a marijuana possession charge -- which was later dropped -- and an NCAA investigation into his illicit use of rental cars connected to a convicted felon.

Morrow reportedly not earning NBPA certification drew more negative attention to Hairston.

Hairston averaged 18.3 points over seven summer league games in July. 

- Chris Johnson

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.