Celtics' Rajon Rondo hopes to play on opening night
The Celtics announced last week that Rondo underwent surgery after breaking a bone in his hand.
Rondo suffered the injury when he fell at his home last Thursday and is expected to miss six to eight weeks, according to the release.
"Hopefully I won't miss any games this year," Rondo said in an exclusive interview with CSNNE's Mike Gorman. "Lord willing I heal correctly and I'll be back in no time.
"They're telling me 6-to-8 [weeks]. But that means nothing to me."
Gorman then asked if Rondo would be a possibility for Opening Night at the end of October.
"Always," Rondo said.
"I'm sure they're going to be very cautious and Danny [Ainge, Celtics President of Basketball Operations] already said it. When I'm ready, like I said this isn't my knee this is a finger."
The 28-year-old has averaged 11.1 points and 8.4 assists over eight seasons with the Celtics. Last season he posted averages of 11.7 points and 9.8 assists.
The Celtics, which went 25-57 and missed the playoffs in 2013-14, open the upcoming season Oct. 29 against the Brooklyn Nets.
- Chris Johnson