By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The NBA Finals are here. The Cleveland Cavaliers and Golden State Warriors tip-off Thursday night in a rematch of last year’s finals. While the Warriors and Cavs are focused on winning a title, the rest of the NBA is focused on the off-season.
Check out the latest NBA rumors and news below.
• Dirk Nowitzki has a player option for this offseason, but he’s not sure if he'll opt out. Speaking on the 105.3 The Fan, Nowitzki said he’ll do what’s in the best interest of the Dallas Mavericks.
• Clippers small forward Wesley Johnson will not pick up his $1.2 million player option, reports Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times. However, Johnson does want to return to Los Angeles.
• Also opting for free agency is Clippers guard Austin Rivers. He’s declining a $3.3 player option, reports Marc J. Spears of ESPN.
• The New York Knicks and Jeff Hornacek have reached an agreement on a contract, reports ESPN’s Ian Begley. The three-year deal is reportedly worth $15 million.
• The contract between Mike D'Antoni and the Houston Rockets is nearly identical to Hornacek’s deal. D'Antonio gets a three-year, $15 million deal with a team option for a fourth year, reports ESPN.
• Brad Stevens had three more years left on his contract with the Boston Celtics, but the team has added three more years to his contract, reports the Boston Herald. extended Stevens, reports Steve Bulpett of The Boston Herald.
• Washington Wizards center Nene is set to be an unrestricted free agent, and wants to keep playing. Despite being 33 years old and battling injuries in recent years, CSN Mid-Atlantic reports Nene won't retire.