The NBA Finals have concluded, and the Cleveland Cavaliers are on top of the basketball world for the first time in franchise history. The Cavs came from 3–1 down in the Finals for the first time in league history, beating the Golden State Warriors behind a triple-double from series MVP LeBron James.
With that, the NBA off-season has officially begun. The Warriors are already looking at bolstering their roster, as are several other teams on the brink of contention.
Here are the latest NBA free agency rumors.
• Cavaliers star LeBron James could opt out of his contract and join the Lakers or Heat this summer, ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith reports.
• After Golden State’s NBA Finals loss to Cleveland, Warriors owner Joe Lacob said the team will be “very aggressive” in the coming months.
• Although several notable players have withdrawn from the 2016 Olympics, Kevin Durant is not one of them. ESPN reports Durant still plans to play.
• The Bucks are shopping bigman Greg Monroe “hard,” according to Mike Scotto of Sheridan Hoops.
• Knicks president Phil Jackson “is happy where he is,” Lakers president Jeanie Buss, Jackson’s fiancee, told Sports Business Daily. “He’s completely devoted to this job.”
• Former Louisville guard Russ Smith has worked out for the Nuggets, Blazers and Clippers so far, Alex Kennedy of Basketball Insiders reports. He was a standout in the D-League this year, averaging 27.8 points, 7.8 assists and 2.2 steals.
• The Lakers will introduce Luke Walton as their head coach on Tuesday, ESPN’s Marc Spears reports.
• Richard Jefferson, who retired after winning the Finals with Cleveland on Sunday, could join Walton’s staff in Los Angeles, former TWC SportsNet analyst Dave Miller reports.
• Veteran forward Matt Bonner would like to continue to play, ideally with the Spurs, he told reporters.