NBA rumors: Latest preseason news on injuries, contracts, more
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The start of the NBA season is just one day away. The Cleveland Cavaliers host the New York Knicks to open the season Tuesday, with the Cavs receiving their championship rings before the game. With the season nearly here, teams need to get their rosters down to the 15 player maximum.
Check out the latest NBA news and rumors below.
• Philadelphia 76ers forward Nerlens Noel will undergo knee surgery Monday, reports The Philadelphia Enquirer. He's expected to miss three to five weeks.
• Toronto Raptors forward Jared Sullinger needs foot surgery, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical. It's unclear exactly how long Sullinger will be out, but it will be at least several weeks.
• The Houston Rockets likely won't have point guard Patrick Beverley or power forward Donatas Motiejunas to start the season, reports ESPN's Calvin Watkins. Beverley needs knee surgery and Motiejunas is still an unsigned restricted free agent.
• Lance Stephenson has made the New Orleans Pelicans' roster. The team announced they're waiving Alonzo Gee, giving Stephenson a roster spot in the process.
• Yi Jianlian's return to the NBA appears over already. The Los Angeles Lakers will grant Jianlian's request and waive him, according to ESPN's Marc Stein.
• The Boston Celtics will pick up the third-year option on point guard Terry Rozier's rookie contract, reports CSN New England. Rozier will make just less than $2 million in the 2017–18 season.
• The Miami Heat are keeping Rodney McGruder as their 15th player. They waived both Beno Udrih and Briante Weber to do so, although the Miami Herald reports the Heat will try to place Weber on their D-League roster.
• Tim Quarterman made the Portland Trail Blazers roster as the 15th man, according to NBA.com. Quarterman beat out big men Grant Jarrett and Greg Stiemsma.