NBA postpones Knicks/Nets opener in Brooklyn due to Hurricane Sandy
By Ben Golliver
The show won't go on after all. At least not on Thursday.
A highly anticipated season-opening New York showdown between the Knicks and Nets set for Thursday night at the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn will be postponed due to Hurricane Sandy, the NBA announced Wednesday. Sandy has caused at least 33 deaths, according to CNN, and New York City has dealt with widespread flooding and power outages. Subway service has also been suspended.
“[New York] Mayor Bloomberg informed us this afternoon that after further analysis of the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy that he felt it was in the best interests of the city of New York, the teams and our fans that we postpone the Knicks-Nets game scheduled for Thursday night,” NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver said. "Our thoughts are with all those affected by this devastating storm."
NBA TV's Greg Anthony and the New York Times first reported the decision, which represents a 180 degree reversal in less than 24 hours, as a league spokesman said late Tuesday night that the game would be played. Earlier Tuesday, the league had said only that it would be monitoring its opening week games for possible cancellations due to the storm.
Excitement for the game is particularly great as the Nets are entering their first season in Brooklyn after relocating from Newark, New Jersey. The New York Post reported last week that tickets for the Knicks/Nets game were selling for an average of $800 on the secondary market, with a courtside seat drawing up to $8,100.The Knicks are also scheduled to host the Miami Heat at Madison Square Garden in Manhattan on Friday night. The New York Times reported Wednesday that Knicks GM Glen Grunwald said that game is "good to go," at least for now. The NBA confirmed that assessment in a Wednesday statement.