Reality TV star Khloe Kardashian files for divorce from free-agent Lamar Odom
Reality TV star Khloe Kardashian filed for divorce from NBA free-agent Lamar Odom on Friday.
The Los Angeles County Superior Court filing, which cited irreconcilable differences, comes just three days after Odom pleaded no contest to a DUI charge related to an August arrest.
The Associated Press reports that the couple was married in 2009, and that Kardashian had insisted as recently as last spring that the marriage would continue.
''I think everyone said it wouldn't last, but I can totally understand why,'' she said. ''We knew each other for only 30 days and then we got married. ... I just felt it and same with Lamar. Thank God it worked because it very well could've gone the other way.''
In recent episodes of ''Keeping Up With the Kardashians,'' Odom hasn't been featured and the show has hinted at marital issues.
Odom was sentenced to a probation term of three years and must undergo three months of alcohol abuse treatment, but he avoided jail time. He was arrested in August on DUI charges for allegedly weaving in and out of traffic in a white Mercedes. After refusing to take chemical tests, he was released on bail shortly after the arrest.
The 34-year-old Odom is an unrestricted free agent after spending last season with the Clippers, with whom he averaged a career-low four points and 5.9 rebounds in 19.7 minutes per game. Odom has spent 12 of his 14 NBA seasons in Los Angeles, including five years with the Clippers and seven years with the Lakers, with whom he won back-to-back titles in 2009 and 2010.
The last few months have seen Odom’s name repeatedly hit the headlines. ESPN.com reported in August that Odom’s friends were “trying to get him help for an unspecified drug problem” in light of reports that suggested he was “missing” and having marital problems. He briefly entered a rehabilitation center, according to reports, and he vented in detail last month after his father, Joe, discussed Kardashian and her family.
In an emotional message posted to Twitter, Odom admitted that he was experiencing a “dark time,” while also taking his “absent” father to task for passing on his “demons” and making disparaging comments about his wife and her family.
Odom denied have a drug problem or needing professional help in a brief video interview with TMZSports.com back in September. He also said that he would ”hopefully” play during the 2013-14 season.
Roughly three weeks ago, Odom met with the Clippers in hopes of making an NBA comeback. L.A. had one open roster spot at the time but that spot has since been filled by the signing of Stephen Jackson, who provides a stop-gap solution following injuries to J.J. Redick, Matt Barnes and Reggie Bullock. CBSSports.com reported earlier this month that Odom was working out in hopes of continuing his NBA career but that he might not be ready until January.
If Odom does return to the NBA, he will almost certainly face a suspension for his “no contest” plea. Devin Ebanks and Jason Kidd were both issued two-game suspensions for pleading no contest to DUI charges in recent months.A skilled, versatile forward who was named 2011 Sixth Man of the Year, Odom has seen his career go off the rails in recent years. In December 2011, the Lakers traded him to the Mavericks after reports of a dispute with management. Odom played just 50 games in Dallas before he was essentially told to remain home. The Mavericks traded him to the Clippers in 2012, and while he did appear in all 82 games last season, his production was a fraction of what he offered during the championship seasons with the Lakers.