Nobody wants to be like Mike, at least not at this price.
Michael Jordan's Chicago-area mansion failed to sell at auction Monday, as zero bids met the required $13 million reserve price, according to the Associated Press.
The 56,000-square-foot house has nine bedrooms, 15 bathrooms and a regulation-size NBA court, and it's located on a 7.39-acre lot in Highland Park, Ill., roughly 25 miles north of Chicago, where Jordan led the Bulls to six championships in the 1990s.
Jordan, now owner of the Bobcats, moved into the home in 1994, shortly after the Bulls completed their first three-peat. He put up the estate for auction back in October after it reportedly failed to fetch its original $29 million asking price and didn't sell even after he lowered the price to $21 million. The auction bidding was initially set for Nov. 22 but was delayed until Monday to accommodate the wishes of prospective buyers, according to Concierge Auctions. Estee Portnoy, a spokeswoman for Jordan, told the AP that the Bulls legend will evaluate the next steps for the property in 2014.
Here's a promotional video showcasing the lavish, customized estate.
"My kids are grown now and I don't need a large house in Chicago," Jordan told the Wall Street Journal, explaining why he was ready to part with the massive, personalized property. "It was time for some warmer weather down at my new home in Florida."
The 50-year-old Jordan married Yvette Prieto in a Florida wedding back in April. The couple is now expecting its first child together.
An ESPN The Magazine profile of Jordan joked that his new digs, which sit on a golf course in Florida, amount to his "retirement home."
ConciergeAuctions.com's listing of the house includes these jaw-dropping details:
- The master suite is 504 square feet and houses a three-sided fireplace and a private lounge.
- The lower level of the home includes a walk-in humidor, a 500-bottle wine cellar, a wine-tasting room and a fully equipped beauty salon.
- The "gentleman's retreat" suite includes a billiard parlor, fireplace, library, wet bar, video screen and the original doors from the Playboy Mansion in Chicago.
- The house has a full fitness studio (treadmills, ellipticals, StairMasters, etc.) and a full-size basketball court with a custom sound system, locker rooms and showers.
- Outside, there's a tennis court, golf putting green and a stocked pond.
- The massive property has more than 260 trees, many of which provide privacy.
- All told, the estate has five fireplaces and 15 heated garage spaces.
A gallery of images of the house and estate can be seen below.