BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Sunday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. EDT:
- COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. - Frank Thomas, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and managers Joe Torre, Tony La Russa and Bobby Cox are inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Ceremony starts 1:30 p.m.
- PARIS - Vincenzo Nibali has begun a mostly ceremonial ride into Paris, set to become Italy's first Tour de France champion since Marco Pantani in 1998.
- INDIANAPOLIS - Kevin Harvick, Jeff Gordon and Brad Keselowski - NASCAR's three strongest drivers all season - lead the field at Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Brickyard 400. Race starts 1 p.m.
- Profile of Michael Strahan of the New York Giants. This is the first of seven profiles leading to next weekend's induction ceremonies at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- MONTREAL - Jim Furyk takes a three-stroke lead into the final round of the Canadian Open, seeking his third victory in the event and first PGA Tour win since 2010.
- OWINGS MILLS, Md. - With the top-seeded U.S. out of the picture, five countries compete in the final round of the inaugural International Crown: Thailand, Spain, South Korea, Japan and Sweden.
- BRIDGEND, Wales - Bernhard Langer nears his second Champions Tour major title of the year. He leads the Senior British Open by eight strokes entering the last round.
- ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Tampa Bay, winners of nine straight and just two games under .500, play the last place-Boston Red Sox. The Rays are 6 1/2 games back in the AL East. Game starts 1:40 p.m.
- SAN FRANCISCO - Jake Peavy makes his debut with the Giants a day after his trade from the Red Sox. The Los Angeles Dodgers lead the NL West, a half-game ahead of San Francisco. Game starts 8:07 p.m.
- OCEANPORT, N.J. - Rosie Napravnik is aboard Untapable, the 2-1 favorite in the filly's race against colts at the $1 million Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park. Post time about 5:45 p.m.
- Cat Conti never played sports when she was growing up in Southern California. Now she is one of four women who will be on-field officials in the Football Bowl Subdivision this season.
- CORTLAND, N.Y. - Michael Vick believes he can still start in the NFL. The Jets quarterback also believes he can still be a star. Right now, he's in line to back up Geno Smith this season.
- OXNARD, Calif. - Dez Bryant suddenly finds himself as one of the oldest and most accomplished Dallas receivers. A leader? Well, he's closer to that than the troubled rookie who didn't pay his jewelry bills.
- PITTSFORD, N.Y. - Mario Williams is not one to dwell on the impressive numbers the star pass-rusher put up in his second season with the Bills. ''I've just got to come out here and get better,'' he says.
- BUDAPEST, Hungary - Daniel Ricciardo of Red Bull wins the Hungarian Grand Prix, overtaking Ferrari's Fernando Alonso near the end. Lewis Hamilton is third and holds off teammate Nico Rosberg.
- LONDON - Britain's Deputy Prime Minister wants Russia stripped of the right to host the 2018 World Cup to punish President Vladimir Putin for ''belligerent behavior'' in the Ukraine crisis.