UNSUPPORTED BROWSER
NFL

Report: Buccaneers not interested in Richie Incognito filling guard spot

Report: Buccaneers not interested in Richie Incognito filling guard spot Photo:

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are holding an open competition for their starting guard spots, but the team isn't interested in ex-Dolphins guard Richie Incognito, according to the Tampa Tribune

Bucs head coach Lovie Smith was asked Monday about Incognito as a guard candidate. 

"All players that are available, we look to see if they would fit in our program,’’ Smith said. “All players. And I will just kind of leave it at that. If we are really interested in someone, we will bring them in."

Incognito is hoping to return to the NFL after being released by Miami following his suspension from the team in November 2013. He was suspended while the NFL investigated his role in the bullying allegations made by former Miami teammate Jonathan Martin.

More: Bucs looking to poach 49ers' Boone

Incognito's agent said that the player has had "some nibbles" from teams.

The Buccaneers recently took Jamon Meredith, who had been No. 1 on the depth chart, out of the running for the starting right guard spot. 

- Molly Geary

More NFL

SI.com

Drag this icon to your bookmark bar.
Then delete your old SI.com bookmark.

SI.com

Click the share icon to bookmark us.