Wednesday April 22nd, 2015

San Diego Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said the plan is for the team to keep Philip Rivers as its quarterback, according to Andrew Siciliano of NFL Network. 

Rivers has been the subject of trade rumors, and the Chargers reportedly worked out quarterback prospect Marcus Mariota in Oregon last week. San Diego currently holds the No. 17 pick in the upcoming NFL draft.

• MMQB: Could stars align for Peterson, Rivers blockbuster trades?

"Philip's our quarterback and it's our plan and intent that he's our quarterback well into the future," Telesco said.

On Monday, former San Diego running back LaDainian Tomlinson said he doesn't think Rivers will be the starting quarterback for the Chargers in 2015. The 33-year-old Rivers is set to become a free agent after next season.

Rivers has started every game for the Chargers since the beginning of the 2006 season. He led the NFL in interceptions in 2014 and finished with 31 passing touchdowns and 4,286 passing yards. 

• ​FARRAR: NFL Mock Draft: Chargers move up for Marcus Mariota

San Diego went 9–7 last season, missing the playoffs for the fourth time in five years. 

- Molly Geary

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.