Wednesday May 6th, 2015

San Diego Chargers safety Eric Weddle said on The Mighty 1090 that he's not coming in for off-season workouts "anytime soon" until the Chargers say something regarding new contract negotiations. 

Weddle is slated to be a free agent in 2016 and said last month that he feels "highly disrespected" by the team and was upset they had yet to discuss a new deal with him. The 30-year-old is skipping the team's voluntary off-season workout program, which began on April 20.

The safety also said in April that he's told the team numerous times that he wants to retire as a Charger and has "completely gotten pushed aside."

MMQB: Seahawks face serious questions about first pick

Weddle is due to earn $7.5 million in 2015. He is a three-time Pro Bowler, including in each of the last two seasons.

In 2014, Weddle recorded 114 tackles, two forced fumbles and one interception. He has started every regular season game for San Diego over the last five years and is a former second-round draft pick in 2007.

The Chargers went 9-7 last season and failed to reach the playoffs.


- Molly Geary

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.