NFL rumors: Latest buzz around free agency, trades
With the NFL draft over and free agency winding down, the NFL rumor mill is abuzz. What's the latest? Check back often as we update below with all the latest scoops, including transactions, news and rumors.
• Patriots owner Robert Kraft announced Tuesday that he will not appeal the punishment levied by the NFL for the Deflategate controversy.
• The city of Carson, Calif., completed a complex deal Tuesday to acquire a large parcel of land on the site of a former landfill that would be used to build a stadium shared by the Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers.
• The Chargers signed veteran offensive tackle Joe Barksdale to a one-year contract, Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reports. He spent the last three seasons with the Rams following two seasons with the Raiders.
• Cornerback Chimdi Checkwa signed with the Raiders one day after being released by the Patriots, Yahoo's Rand Getlin reports.
• The Saints released kicker Shayne Graham, the team announced. Graham, 37, made 86.4% of his field goals last season. Dustin Hopkins will likely be the kicker next season.
• The Bills will not cut struggling quarterback E.J. Manuel, offensive coordinator Greg Roman told reporters Tuesday.
• Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy said his goal as a Cowboy is to "make sure Jerry's happy," referring to team owner Jerry Jones. The Cowboys were criticized by some this off-season for signing Hardy, who will be suspended for the first 10 games of the season for a domestic violence incident.
• The Titans have waived outside linebacker Dontay Moch, reports John Glennon of The Tennessean.
• 49ers defensive end Justin Smith had decided to retire, the team announced Monday. The five-time Pro Bowler has spent the last seven years with San Francisco.
• The Cowboys have released Jed Collins and re-signed Tyler Clutts, reports Todd Archer of ESPN.
• The Redskins have signed former Georgia quarterback Hutson Mason following the retirement of undrafted rookie quarterback Connor Halliday, reports ProFootballTalk. Mason tried out for the team during rookie minicamp.
• Buffalo Bills quarterback EJ Manuel is in danger of not making the team's 53-man roster if he does not perform to standard during the team's training camp, reports WKBW. Bills general manager Doug Whaley has already said that 2015 is a "make-or-break" year for Manuel.
• The Patriots have signed linebacker Brandon Spikes to a one-year deal, reports ESPN.com's Adam Schefter and Field Yates. Spikes sent his first four seasons with New England before playing with the Bills in 2014.
• Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll says linebacker Bruce Irvin's remarks about wanting to join the Atlanta Falcons next season were misinterpreted. Irvin will be an unrestricted free agent in 2016 after the team declined the fifth-year option on his rookie contract.