Eric Weddle: Chargers have not been upfront about contract talks
San Diego Chargers All-Pro safety Eric Weddle attended the team’s mandatory off-season minicamp on Tuesday, but he was not happy about his contract situation, saying the organization has not been upfront with him.
Weddle, 30, has made clear his desire for a long-term deal. He will enter the final season of a five-year, $40 million deal he signed before the 2011 season. Weddle is scheduled to make $7.5 million in base salary in 2015.
Weddle has said he felt "highly disrespected" by the team and was upset that the Chargers had not discussed a new deal with him. He took it a step further when he read a prepared statement after Tuesday's practice.
“Contrary to what has recently been said by upper management, there has never been any financial numbers discussed and the Chargers have never put an offer on the table for us to consider,” Weddle said in the statement. “It is obvious to me I am not part of this organization’s long-term plans. The NFL is a business, and I can accept that. I just wish the organization had been upfront with me from day one."
Weddle said he has instructed his agent not speak to the Chargers again if he does not receive a multi-year contract extension before training camp starts. The Chargers have not released their training camp dates, but most teams report for camp in late July.
“I will give this team everything I have this year and head to free agency in 2016," Weddle said. "This will be the one and only time I will discuss my contract, and I look forward to focusing on football."
Weddle, a three-time Pro Bowler, recorded 114 tackles, two forced fumbles and one interception last season, earning first-team AP All-Pro honors.
- Scooby Axson