NFL Network's Albert Breer reports that it is a veteran's minimum deal and that Washington has the right of first refusal on Galette for 2016.
The Saints released Galette earlier this week due to off-field issues. Last month, the NFL said it is aware of a video posted in 2013 that appears to show Galette striking multiple people with a belt. Galette’s attorney has denied that Galette was the man shown in the video.
In January, Galette was arrested on misdemeanor domestic violence and battery charges. The charges were dropped in February and the woman in the case filed a civil lawsuit the same day. The status of the case is uncertain, as the woman's attorney is no longer representing her and no new attorney has taken the case.
“Junior is grateful for the second chance he is being afforded,” his agent, Alvin Keels, said in his tweet.
The 27-year-old Galette visited Washington on Thursday and met with coach Jay Gruden and general manager Scot McCloughan.
After being informed of his release, Galette told WWL-TV's Lyons Yellin that he recently met with NFL officials and does not believe he will be disciplined by the league for the January arrest.
Galette signed a four-year, $41.5 million contract extension with New Orleans last September. He recorded 45 tackles, 10.0 sacks and three forced fumbles last season.
- Molly Geary