Bobby Wagner, Seahawks reportedly agree to contract extension
0:48 | NFL
Bobby Wagner, Seahawks reportedly agree to contract extension
Sunday August 2nd, 2015

Linebacker Bobby Wagner has reportedly agreed to a four-year, $43 million extension with the Seattle Seahawks.

Michael Robinson of NFL Network, a recently retired member of the Seahawks and teammate of Wagner's, first tweeted the news.'s Ian Rapoport confirmed that Wagner and Seattle had come to terms on a deal, also reporting the financial details. According to Rapoport, the deal includes $22 million guaranteed. A reported annual salary of $10.75 million makes Wagner the highest-paid middle linebacker ever.

Wagner, 25, has recorded 364 combined tackles and nine sacks in three NFL seasons since being selected in the second round of the 2012 draft out of Utah State. He made his first Pro Bowl and All-Pro teams last year and helped Seattle to the 2013 Super Bowl.

After Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson agreed to a four-year, $87.6 million contract extension (including a $31 million signing bonus and $60 million guaranteed) less than 48 hours earlier, Wagner reportedly followed suit. He was one of several Seahawks unhappy with their contract situations. Both defensive end Michael Bennett and safety Kam Chancellor are reportedly seeking more money.

• FARRAR: Unhappy Seahawks wait for paydays post-Wilson deal

Wagner told SI's Doug Farrar this, asked about his contract in wake of the Wilson news, saying the deadline to ink a deal was “now.”

"If it happens, it happens,” he said. ”But all I know is at the end of the season, you will know that I’m the best linebacker in this league. That’s my focus. Everything else will take care of itself."

Jeremy Woo


SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.