Monday December 21st, 2015

On Monday, Fox Sports released an interview between New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul and Fox’s Michael Strahan in which Pierre-Paul explained the details of the July 4 fireworks accident that mangled his right hand.

Pierre-Paul’s index finger was amputated, and portions of his thumb and index fingers were also removed in surgeries following the incident. His career was considered at risk in the months that followed, but the 26-year-old has returned to play in six games for the Giants this season.

Pierre-Paul told Strahan that he had been throwing fireworks all night on the Fourth, but one firework exploded in his hand before he had the chance to throw it.

“The one I was holding. I thought it was a different one, but it wasn’t. And it just went off in my hand, right away,” he said.

Report: NFL likely to suspend Odell Beckham Jr. for actions vs. Panthers

Pierre-Paul also explained that the rumors that he would not allow Giants staff to see him after he was first admitted to the hospital were false. He claims that the team came to see him at the original hospital he was taken to, but that he had been transferred before they arrived. Pierre-Paul said he was so heavily sedated that he did not know the team was there.

Despite the injury, Pierre-Paul said that he has not felt discouraged from playing football. In the games that he has played this season, Pierre-Paul has recorded 13 tackles and one sack.

The Giants (6–8) currently sit the third in the NFC East and still have a chance to win the division.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.