NFL rumors: Latest news from the off-season and more
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The NFL off-season is in full swing after the Denver Broncos’ victory in Super Bowl 50, with teams now focused on free agency and the upcoming draft. Tuesday marked the first day that teams could apply the franchise tag to players, while the NFL Scouting Combine begins Feb. 23.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Detroit Lions president Rob Wood said that wide receiver Calvin Johnson has not yet made a decision about his future in the league, which conflicts with an earlier report from ESPN that he is retiring, reports Mike O’Hara of the team’s official website.
• Carolina Panthers defensive end Jared Allen announced his retirement on Twitter. Allen played 12 years in the NFL with the Chiefs, Vikings, Bears and Panthers.
• Former Broncos running back Montee Ball threw his girlfriend across a hotel room and into a table during a Feb. 5 incident, according to a police report obtained by Deadspin. Ball was arrested on a battery charge and was subsequently cut from the New England Patriots’ practice squad.
• Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Gerry Dulac that he wants to play next season, but will retire if his body isn’t up to it.
• The Miami Dolphins are currently negotiating a contract extension with defensive end Cameron Wake, reports the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.
• Indianapolis Colts linebacker Jonathan Newsome was arrested Wednesday for marijuana possession, reports Fox59.com’s Matt Adams.
• Dolphins wide receiver Greg Jennings told ESPN that the team needs to give quarterback Ryan Tannehill “more freedom” if he’s going to be successful.