NFL rumors: Latest news from the off-season on free agency, trades, more
By Matt Connolly, Chat Sports
As the NFL draft draws closer, buzz surrounding the NCAA’s top prospects and their connections with teams around the league is only picking up. Meanwhile, more details in the death of former New Orleans Saints defensive end Will Smith have emerged, as well as other news on happenings off the field.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• The Cleveland Browns are willing to trade their No. 2 overall pick in the draft and target a quarterback in Round 2, reports NFL.com’s Lance Zierlin.
• A loaded handgun was found in Smith’s car three days after he was shot and killed following a traffic accident, but there is no evidence that it was fired, according to the New Orleans Police Department.
• The Philadelphia Eagles, who have the No. 8 pick in the draft, are reportedly “in love with” Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott, CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora reports.
• An arrest warrant has been issued for Los Angeles Rams running back Tre Mason after he failed to appear in court on Monday, reports ESPN.com’s Nick Wagoner. Mason’s court date stems from a March 5 reckless driving arrest.
• The Denver Broncos hosted Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch at their facilities on Tuesday, according to multiple reports.
• Johnny Manziel is not living with Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller or suspended Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon, according to ProFootballTalk.com’s Mike Florio.
• Gordon recently had his petition for reinstatement denied, but the wideout could be back in the NFL as early as October, reports NFL Nation’s Kevin Seifert.
• The New York Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick are still far apart on the terms of a new deal, according to Chris Carlin of Sirius XM.