By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The NFL off-season is in the midst of a quiet stretch after the conclusion of minicamps. However, with training camp just around the corner, much of the league’s news is focused on who will be healthy enough to participate in training camp when it commences in July.
Check out the latest NFL rumors and news below.
• Denver Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak told reporters earlier this off-season that Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian were tied for the starting quarterback role. However, Mike Klis of KUSA believes that the job will likely go to Sanchez.
• Buffalo Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins is expected to be ready for training camp despite the fact that he is currently recovering from off-season foot surgery. Though Watkins told TSN that he may have to sit out of training camp for two or three days, he cited that he will “definitely be available.”
• Houston Texans left tackle Duane Brown is recovering from a torn quad tendon and may not be ready until the start of the season, reports the Houston Chronicle. Chris Clark is Brown’s backup.
• Texans nose tackle Vince Wilfork will turn 35 this season, but he is not entertaining talks about his retirement. He told the Chronicle that he believes he has “a couple more good years” left.
• New York Jets wide receiver Devin Smith tore his ACL last December and might not be ready for the start of the season. ESPN’s Rich Cimini reports that Smith may start the season on the physically-unable-to-perform list.
• Former quarterback Dan Marino is a special advisor to the Miami Dolphins and will also be doing some coaching this year. Seventh-round pick Brandon Doughty told the Miami Herald that Marino is “in every meeting.”