By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
As NFL teams prepare for the start of training camps at the end of the month, several players and teams are focused on the July 15 franchise tag deadline. Correspondingly, much of league news is focused on whether franchise tagged players will sign their tender offers or reach a long-term agreement with their respective teams.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Quarterback Kirk Cousins will not sign a long-term deal with the Washington Redskins before the July 15 deadline, reports Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio.
• The possibility that the Chicago Bears reach a long-term deal with wide receiver Alshon Jeffery is doubtful, reports NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo.
• Former NFL running back Ricky Williams told SI Films that he did “quit football to go smoke weed,” but not for the same reasons “people see it.”
• Quarterback Eli Manning said the New York Giants will “definitely” make the playoffs this season, the New York Post’s Paul Schwartz reports.
• The 2017 NFL Draft will be held in Philadelphia in April, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Wendy Ruderman.
• Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly has no signs of cancer after a biopsy, his wife announced on Instagram.