NFL rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, more
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
Although NFL training camps are just a few weeks away, many teams are focused on the impending franchise tag deadline. On Friday, players who have been tagged need to sign a long-term extension or else they will have play out the season under the tender.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• There is still no real progress between the New York Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, reports Brian Costello of the New York Post. Jets training camp opens at the end of the month, and Costello has reported there is a “very real possibility” that Fitzpatrick will not be signed by then.
• Mike Klis of 9 News reports the Broncos are focused on reaching a long-term deal with Miller as opposed to trading him.
• With the Broncos focused on Miller, contract talks with wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders have been put on hold. However, that’s not worrying Sanders, who told the Denver Post that the Broncos are right to be “taking care of Miller's situation.”
• New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton said he expects Reggie Bush to end up on a roster for the 2016 season, according to the New Orleans Advocate. However, Payton said it likely won’t be with the Saints.
• The Cleveland Browns voided the remaining guaranteed money on quarterback Johnny Manziel’s contract before he was cut, reports Pro Football Talk. The NFLPA did not fight the voiding, so Manziel will not get the $2.173 million he was due.
• Atlanta Falcons running back Devonta Freeman had a breakout season last year that featured 265 carries and 73 catches. However, Falcons running backs coach Bobby Turner told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he wants to decrease Freeman’s touches to keep him fresh.
• New York Giants defensive tackle Damon Harrison got married over July 4 weekend. Harrison and his wife are holding off on their honeymoon, though. Harrison told NJ.com that he and his wife will take their honeymoon next off-season because the defensive tackle wants to stay in New Jersey to continue working out before training camp begins.