NFL rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, more
By Josh Gray, Chat Sports
The excitement for the upcoming NFL season is palpable, as all but two teams have reported to training camp. The 49ers and Texans begin on Saturday. As training camps progress, rosters are beginning to take shape, and contract extensions and retirements are continuously being announced.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Seattle Seahawks defensive end Chris Clemons is retiring, reports NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo. The retirement comes as a surprise since Clemons signed a one-year deal with the Seahawks in the spring.
• The NFL is reinstating Miami Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan, reports Rapoport. Jordan had been serving a year-long suspension for violations of the league’s substance abuse policy.
• Suspended Dallas Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain was not on the team’s flight to California for training camp, reports NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. No reason was given for McClain’s absence.
• The Philadelphia Eagles announced a one-year contract extension for running back Darren Sproles, reports ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
• Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson plans to name his starting quarterback before their first preseason game, reports WKYC-TV’s Mary Kay Cabot. The battle for the starting job is between Robert Griffin III and Josh McCown.
• The Minnesota Vikings announced they have signed head coach Mike Zimmer to a contract extension, though terms of the deal were not disclosed. Zimmer is 18–14 in his two seasons as Vikings head coach.