By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The NFL regular season is fast approaching, as training camps are currently in full swing and preseason is set to begin on Sunday with the Hall of Fame Game between the Indianapolis Colts and Green Bay Packers. And, as teams prepare for the upcoming season, several of them are filling out their rosters by signing veteran free-agents.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• The Arizona Cardinals signed safety Tyrann Mathieu to a five-year, $62.5 million extension, reports Joe Schad of the Palm Beach Post. The deal makes Mathieu the highest-paid safety in the NFL.
• Free-agent cornerback Leon Hall will visit the New York Giants on Wednesday, reports ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
• Cowboys backup quarterback Kellen Moore suffered a broken ankle in practice on Tuesday, reports Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com.
• The Cowboys are thinking about acquiring either free-agent quarterback Nick Foles, Browns quarterback Josh McCown or Buccaneers quarterback Mike Glennon to replace Moore, reports ESPN’s Ed Werder.
• Foles agreed to lower his guaranteed pay from $1.75 million to $1 million in order to secure his release from the Los Angeles Rams, reports Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio.
• Dallas Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain is addicted to codeine and allegedly gained 40 pounds in the off-season, reports Brandon George of the Dallas Morning News. McClain is suspended for the first 10 games of the season for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.
• Free-agent pass rusher Dwight Freeney has agreed to a one-year deal with the Atlanta Falcons, reports NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.
• The Baltimore Ravens announced they have waived running back Trent Richardson. To fill Richardson’s spot on the roster, the team signed wide receiver Chuck Jacobs.