NFL rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, more
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The first week of the NFL preseason concluded on Sunday night with the Houston Texans beating the San Francisco 49ers, 24–13. There were few notable injuries suffered over the weekend, but Philadelphia Eagles rookie quarterback Carson Wentz is expected to miss to rest of the pre-season with a hairline fracture in his ribs.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• The Baltimore Ravens announced that linebacker Terrell Suggs has returned to practice for the first time since tearing his Achilles last year.
• New Orleans Saints rookie defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins was carted off the field after sustaining a lower leg injury in practice on Monday, reports Jeff Duncan of the New Orleans Time-Picayune.
• Los Angeles Rams rookie quarterback Jared Goff will take reps with the first-team offense in their preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs on Saturday, reports ESPN's Steve Dilbeck.
• The Rams are trying to reach contract extensions with head coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead before the regular season starts, reports ESPN's Adam Schefter.
• San Francisco head coach Chip Kelly said quarterback Blaine Gabbert does not have "a leg up" on Colin Kaepernick for the starting job, reports Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News. Kaepernick didn't play in Sunday night's game.
• Buffalo Bills running back Karlos Williams has passed his physical and is cleared to practice, reports Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. Williams hadn't been cleared since reporting to OTAs overweight.
• The Detroit Lions announced they have signed tight end Andrew Quarless and linebacker Dominique Tovell.
• Adele has turned down the NFL's invitation to perform during the Super Bowl halftime show, reports Alex Stedman of Variety.com.