NFL rumors: Week 5 news on injuries, suspensions, more
Week 5 of the NFL season kicks off on Thursday night, with the San Francisco 49ers preparing to host the Arizona Cardinals. Some of this weekend's games may be impacted by Hurricane Matthew, and the Miami Dolphins have had some conversations about moving their game against the Tennessee Titans to Nashville.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Chicago Bears wide receiver Kevin White is expected to miss an "extended period of time" with an ankle injury, reports Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. The team announced White will be placed on IR and can return in eight weeks.
• Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton missed the start of the team's Wednesday practice with a concussion, reports Mark E. Ortega of NFL.com.
• San Diego Chargers cornerback Jason Verrett is worried that he has a torn ligament in his knee, reports ESPN's Adam Schefter. Verrett will meet with team doctors today to determine the extent of the injury.
• Former New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has become a "distraction" to the team, reports James Kratch of NJ.com.
• Dallas police have concluded that Denver Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib shot himself in the leg in a June incident, reports Rebecca Lopez of WFAA.
• The Washington Redskins have cut defensive end Kendall Reyes, reports ESPN's John Keim.
• NFL senior vice president of officiating Dean Blandino said on NFL Network that the league will send teams a video clarifying unsportsmanlike conduct calls.