Tony Romo reportedly will be held out of Hall of Fame Game
Tony Romo said earlier this week that he wanted to get a few plays in during Sunday's Hall of Fame Game, but it does not appear that he will get his wish.
Romo is unlikely to see any action Sunday, Carlos Mendez of the Star-Telegram reported, mainly due to the uncertain status of the Cowboys' offensive line. Both of the Cowboys' projected starting guards, Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau, will miss the game, along with at least two or three of the team's backup linemen.
"Every time I step out there your juices are flowing and you want to compete. From that perspective, yeah," Romo said Monday, when asked if he'd like to see any game action against the Dolphins in the first exhibition of the season. "But whatever the coaches want."
The Cowboys and Dolphins each still will play four more preseason games, in addition to Sunday's annual Hall of Fame celebration. The turnaround will be quick for Game 2, as well, with Dallas slated to travel to Oakland next Friday, Aug. 9, for its second contest.
Romo missed all of the Cowboys' offseason workouts prior to training camp after requiring surgery to remove a benign cyst on his back. In addition to trying to get up to speed personally, he's also trying to create a little chemistry with rookie center Travis Frederick, who seems destined for the starting lineup come Week 1. Dallas has three other quarterbacks on its roster: veteran Kyle Orton, Nick Stephens and Alex Tanney. Orton probably will get the start Sunday, in Romo's absence, with Stephens and Tanney splitting the majority of the snaps between them.