NFL Week 6 Injury Roundup: Key Actives/Inactives
In the NFL’s constant war of attrition, injuries can decide games, seasons and a whole lot of futures. Here’s who will give it a shot, and who will not, as we head into Week 6 of the 2013 season:
• Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Cardinals (hamstring): Fitzgerald seemed headed for a day off early Sunday, only to show enough in warm-ups to get the nod. The Cardinals will need him to knock off the 49ers.
• Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings: Two days after the tragic death of his two-year-old son, Peterson will play, as he maintained that he would following Friday's practice.
• Darren McFadden, RB, Raiders (hamstring): McFadden sat out the Raiders' Week 5 win over the Chargers, but both he and Rashad Jennings (hamstring) will be in the lineup Sunday, giving Oakland a full-strength backfield.
• Calvin Johnson, WR, Lions (knee): The Lions' superstar receiver may be limited -- reportedly Detroit is going to use him in the red zone and on third downs. He's a go, however, after missing a Week 5 loss in Green Bay.
• C.J. Spiller, RB, Bills (ankle): Another week and another check on Spiller's health. Though he has yet to miss a full game, Spiller has been banged up on multiple occasions. He should reclaim his spot alongside Fred Jackson atop Buffalo's RB depth chart.
• Michael Vick, QB, Eagles (hamstring): Asterisk required here. Vick will dress only as the third QB, in case of injuries to both Nick Foles and Matt Barkley. Foles will make his first start of 2013 for Philadelphia, one week after replacing a hobbled Vick midway through a win in New York.
• Andre Johnson, WR, Texans (shin): Johnson was relatively quiet in Week 5 because of this same shin injury -- three catches for 39 yards. Still, the Texans are undoubtedly better with him on the field.
• Brandon Flowers, CB, Chiefs (knee): Flowers came up hobbled in Friday's practice and will miss his team's game vs. Oakland. Can Terrelle Pryor test the Chiefs' secondary with Flowers out of the lineup?
• Carl Nicks, G, Buccaneers (foot): Nicks is dealing with a second bout of MRSA, a staph infection that can be resistant to antibiotics. His teammate, Johnthan Banks, will play despite being diagnosed with the same virus this week.
• Mike Williams, WR, Buccaneers (hamstring): Another blow for the reeling Bucs, who will be without their top receiver -- Williams had 15 catches and two TDs over the team's first four games.
• Josh Freeman, QB, Vikings: The Vikings will keep Freeman off its active roster or at least one more week -- the ex-Tampa Bay QB just signed with Minnesota earlier this week. Matt Cassel is starting.
• James Starks, RB, Packers (knee): The banged-up Packers will be without Starks, CB Casey Heyward, LB Clay Matthews and others Sunday in Baltimore. They're hoping to get Starks back for Week 7.
• Stevie Johnson, WR, Bills (back): Johnson tried to loosen up during the Bills' morning workout Sunday, to no avail. The Bills will have to get by Cincinnati without him.• Rob Gronkowski, TE, Patriots (forearm/back): The Patriots keep waiting for Gronk to jump back into the starting lineup. It will be at least Week 7 before that happens, though, as this injury situation keeps lingering.