BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Thursday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EST:
- Derrick Rose, Carmelo Anthony, Jimmy Butler and Ricky Rubio are among those who may be on the move, with the NBA trade deadline arriving at 3 p.m.
- NEW ORLEANS - DeMarcus Cousins plays for the first time with the Pelicans, joining Anthony Davis in an imposing frontcourt for a game against Houston. Game starts 8 p.m.
- DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be on the front row for Sunday's Daytona 500, a track where he's seen much triumph and tragedy.
- DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - The field is set for the season-opening Daytona 500 with two 150-mile qualifying races. First race starts 7 p.m.
- The next two Summer Olympic hosts might be selected at the same time, with Los Angeles and Paris chosen for 2024 and 2028. Budapest, Hungary, is no longer a candidate.
- NEW YORK - The 168 major league players eligible for salary arbitration as of mid-December averaged a 113 percent raise, according to an AP study.
- PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. - Adam Scott begins his title defense at the Honda Classic at PGA National. Scott, at No. 7, is the highest-ranked player in the field.
- LAWRENCE, Kan. - Allen Fieldhouse has yet another conference trophy to display. But the No. 3 Jayhawks have bigger - and more important - basketball championships to chase.
- On the day he turns 80, College Football Hall of Fame coach Tom Osborne speaks with the AP about college sports - football in particular - and his passion for fishing.
- EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - The Vikings must soon decide on running back Adrian Peterson, whose $18 million salary-cap hit for 2017 won't fly.
- SAPPORO, Japan - Canadian-born Matt Dalton is among a handful of North American hockey players to become South Korean citizens. Now he's a key part of the national team.
- BEIRUT - A U.N. program is helping 12,000 children, mostly Syrian refugees, learn the basics of soccer and basketball to ease the pain of war and displacement.