BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Saturday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- SAN FRANCISCO - The plucky Kansas City Royals look to extend their 2-1 edge in the World Series when Jason Vargas starts Game 4 against Ryan Vogelsong of the San Francisco Giants. Game starts 8:07 p.m.
- SAN FRANCISCO - Some extra postseason pillow time has Brandon Crawford and the San Francisco Giants dreaming about another World Series championship. Looking for any advantage, the Giants are again getting help in October from a sleep expert to help them plan trips and keep players fresh.
- RIDGEWAY, Va. - Kevin Harvick will start in the back of the field at Martinsville Speedway, but he's overcome poor track position before at the small short track. He'll have to get moving in a hurry Sunday or risk falling a lap down to his rival championship contenders.
- BATON ROUGE, La. - No. 3 Mississippi aims to remain unbeaten on Saturday night when the Rebels visit No. 24 LSU. The Tigers have won two straight and look to avenge a loss at Ole Miss last season. Kickoff at 7:20 p.m.
- EAST LANSING, Mich. - No. 8 Michigan State tries for its sixth win in the last seven meetings against rival Michigan. The Spartans held the Wolverines to minus-48 yards rushing last year.
Sizing up where the playoff race stands after a day in which six teams in the top 15, including No. 1 Mississippi State and No. 2 Mississippi, go on the road.
- SINGAPORE - After Serena Williams' embarrassing defeat to Simona Halep in the WTA Finals group stage, the American narrowed her eyes at the post-match news conference and said she was looking forward to having a chance to avenge the loss.
- ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. - Russell Henley takes a one-shot lead into the third round of the McGladrey Classic.