BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Friday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. EDT:
- PARAMUS, N.J. - Bo Van Pelt has a one-shot lead over eight players entering the second round of The Barclays. Coming off three straight wins, Rory McIlroy is nine strokes behind and trying to make the cut.
- CLEVELAND - Josh Gordon waits find out if the NFL will let him play this season. If the Pro Bowl wide receiver is suspended, the Browns will be without their top playmaker.
- WASHINGTON - Winners of 10 in a row, the first-place Nationals try to keep their streak going when they open a three-game series against the Arizona Diamondbacks. Game starts 7:05 p.m.
- PHILADELPHIA - Adam Wainwright tries to become the first pitcher in the majors to reach 16 wins when the wild card-leading Cardinals play the last-place Phillies. Game starts 7:05 p.m.
- GOLD COAST, Australia - Michael Phelps is fourth in his first international final since coming out of retirement. The 100-meter freestyle at the Pan Pacific championships is won by Australia's Cameron McEvoy.
- BRISTOL, Tenn. - Three races remain before the 16-driver field for the Chase for the championship is set. That leaves winless stars Matt Kenseth and Greg Biffle on edge entering the race at Bristol.
- Five NFL exhibition games: Carolina-New England (7:30 p.m.); Giants-Jets (7:30 p.m.); Jacksonville-Detroit (7:30 p.m.); Oakland-Green Bay (8 p.m.); Chicago-Seattle (10 p.m.).
- SOUTH WILIAMSPORT, Pa. - Undefeated Las Vegas awaits a rematch with Chicago on Saturday in the U.S. championship game at the Little League World Series.
- NEW YORK - The U.S. national team plays Puerto Rico in its final exhibition game at home leading to the Basketball World Cup in Spain. Then come player cut before the team heads overseas. Game starts 7 p.m.
- LONDON, Ontario - So Yeon Ryu is in front going into the second round of the Canadian Women's Open, with South Korean countrywoman Na Yeon Choi one stroke behind.
- PHOENIX - After winning a league-record 29 games, the Phoenix Mercury open their best-of-three, first-round playoff series against the Los Angeles Sparks. Game starts 9 p.m.
- PITTSBURGH - Defending champion Sam Mikulak is a heavy favorite to repeat at the US men's gymnastics championships. The field includes Olympic bronze medalist Danell Leyva. Event starts 7:15 p.m.
- SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. - Bayern, the Haskell Invitational winner trained by Bob Baffert, is the favorite for Saturday's $1.25 million Travers Stakes at Saratoga.
- ATLANTA - The College Football Hall of Fame finally is ready for its opening Saturday following its move from South Bend, Indiana. Fundraising issues forced several delays.