By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs are less than a month away and the wild-card race is entering its final few games. The Chicago Blackhawks continued their recent slide down from the top spot in the Western Conference, losing 3–2 to the Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday. They are now 0–3–1 in their last four games, dropping to fourth in the West.
Check out the latest NHL news and rumors below.
• The NHL will decide on possible expansion for the 2017–18 season prior to the draft beginning on June 24, reports TSN’s Darren Dreger.
• Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman sustained an upper-body injury and is expected to miss a significant amount of time, reports Postmedia’s Wes Gilbertson.
• Pittsburgh Penguins forward Scott Wilson’s undisclosed lower-body injury was described as “longer term” by head coach Mike Sullivan, reports the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Jenn Menendez.
• Florida Panthers forward Jaromir Jagr, 44, said he wants to play until he’s 60, reports Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
• San Jose Sharks defenseman Matt Tennyson has resumed skating for the first time since sustaining a concussion on Feb. 22, reports CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz.
• Toronto Maple Leafs forward Tyler Bozak is expected to return from an upper-body injury next week, reports Leafs TV’s Paul Hendrick.
• The NHL salary cap is expected to be $74 million for next season, reports ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.