By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The Stanley Cup playoffs are fast approaching with just over two weeks remaining in the regular season, and the postseason field is starting to take shape. The Anaheim Ducks clinched a playoff spot in their 6–5 overtime loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Thursday night.
Check out the latest NHL news and rumors below.
• Florida Panthers captain Willie Mitchell may retire due to concussion-related issues, reports the Miami Herald’s George Richards. He hasn’t played since mid-January.
• Columbus Blue Jackets forward Jared Boll has been suspended four games for an “excessively late” hit on Flyers forward Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, the NHL Department of Player Safety announced.
• Los Angeles Kings forward Vincent Lecavalier was scratched from Thursday’s loss to the Winnipeg Jets with an undisclosed injury, but he is expected to return soon, reports LA Kings Insider.
• Washington Capitals forward T.J. Oshie is listed as “day-to-day” with an illness and will be re-evaluated on Friday, the team announced.
• Jets defenseman Tyler Myers is out for the season after having hip surgery, the team announced.
• Edmonton Oilers forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is out with a minor concussion, the team announced.
• Auston Matthews, 18, was the first player named to Team USA for the upcoming world hockey championship in Russia, reports ESPN. Matthews is expected to be the No. 1 overall pick in the NHL draft.