By Matt Connolly, Chat Sports
Three teams are just one win away from reaching the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The St. Louis Blues and Tampa Bay Lightning both went up 3–1 in their respective series on Tuesday night, and the former could eliminate the defending champion Chicago Blackhawks before the week is over.
Check out the latest NHL news and rumors below.
• Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw was caught shouting homophobic slurs at officials in the final minutes of his team’s Game 4 loss to the Blues. He could face severe discipline for his actions.
• The NHL will not discipline Penguins defenseman Kris Letang for slashing New York Rangers forward Viktor Stalberg.
• The Philadelphia Flyers have benched starting goaltender Steve Mason.
• Flyers forward Pierre-Edouard Bellemare was suspended one game for his hit on Capitals defenseman Dmitry Orlov.
• Florida Panthers center Vincent Trocheck won’t play in Game 4 against the New York Islanders, but is expected to be back in the near future.
• Craig Smith sustained a lower-body injury in the Nashville Predators’ Game 3 loss to the Anaheim Ducks, but the forward’s status for Game 4 and beyond is currently unclear.