Top Line: Habs-Pens produce OT thriller, Alfie's frontier justice, more links
By Allan Muir
A guide to this morning's must-read hockey stories:
• Daniel Alfredsson threw discipline out the window to send a message to Philly's Zac Rinaldo.
• Former NHLer Bates Battaglia is in the lead on The Amazing Race.
• Wait ... you didn't watch Hockey Night In Canada last night? Other than the the most thrilling game of the season, here's what Grapes had to say on Coach's Corner. Meanwhile, they were talking Ryan O'Reilly and realignment on Hotstove Tonight.
• Here's some good news for a franchise that could really use some: Miikka Kiprusoff is close to returning to action for the Calgary Flames.
• Should the NHL season be shortened? Same question we ask every year at this time, but it seems to make more sense now, doesn't it?
• Gordie Howe's 85th birthday brought out hockey royalty to celebrate in Vancouver.
• Now the Tampa Bay Lightning are calling themselves travel losers if the NHL's latest realignment proposal comes to pass. The St. Louis Blues say they'll miss the drawing power of the Detroit Red Wings.
• The Vancouver Canucks have been assessed an embellishment penalty in each of their last two games. They might want to work on their diving skills.
• The Panthers lost a game, their pride and Jose Theodore and Dmitri Kulikov on Saturday. It's time for Jacob Markstrom to grab a spot on this team instead of waiting for it to be handed to him. • The Capitals had won just two of their first nine on the road and were coming off a demoralizing loss to the Flyers. They pulled themselves off the ropes by taking two points out of Winnipeg.