Top Line: New gig for Rick DiPietro?; another ugly Olympic jersey?; more links
By Allan Muir
An annotated guide to this morning's must-read hockey stories:
• If you were mortified by the red Team Canada Olympic jersey that leaked last week, you might want to sit down before taking a look at this rumored black third.
• Citing a "family matter," Carolina Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos fired his son, Jason from his 15-year gig as the team's assistant GM. I mean, Big Tom Callahan didn't fire Tommy Boy, so you know this story is going to get interesting. Grab some popcorn and pull up a chair, kids.
• A trio of old guys will be the centerpiece of the new-look Flyers.
• I don't want to lose sight of what a nice story this is about a group of kids learning a more important lesson while playing hockey, but what's up with Scott Hartnell wearing a bun?
• "I know I made bad choices and wrong decisions," says Tyler Seguin. Please, go on . . .
• It's looking like Edmonton Oilers center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will miss the month of October while recovering from shoulder surgery. This doesn't deviate from the original timeline, but it does dash any secretly held hopes that he might come in ahead of schedule.
• Things didn't go well for Edmonton's young hopefuls at the Penticton prospect tournament. Is this reason to be concerned for a team in the middle of a rebuild?
• Smart move by the Leafs to invite UFA winger Mason Raymond to camp. Whether he's insurance against Nazem Kadri missing time, or just competing for a third-line role, this is a no-risk add for the Leafs.
• Pittsburgh's system is deep in high-end defensive talent, but none of the blue-chippers play the game quite the way Harrison Roupp does. After making a big impression at rookie camp, he's put himself in the picture with all those first-round picks.
• Have a daughter who wants to play hockey? A legendary coach says that signing her up for a boys' team is a dead end.• Iceland has named a new national team coach. Guess I missed where they fired Wolf "The Dentist" Stansson.