Former Maple Leaf Rick Vaive pulls out from NHL concussion lawsuit
By Allan Muir Rick Vaive, a 50-goal scorer and former captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs, has asked that his name be removed from the concussion lawsuit filed earlier this week against the NHL. “Mr. Vaive misunderstood the nature of the proceeding being brought, and believed this claim was similar to the worker’s compensation claim being advanced in California on behalf of several former NHL players,” Trevor Whiffen, attorney for Vaive, said in a statement Thursday. “Rick has no interest in suing the National Hockey League and has advised that he will not be pursuing the claim in Washington. He has therefore instructed me to take the necessary steps required in order to remove his name from the lawsuit.” Vaive was arguably the most well-known among the 10 original players who brought forth the lawsuit. The attorneys representing the remaining players said on Wednesday that the total number of athletes involved has topped 200, but none were named other than four-time Stanley Cup winner Bob Bourne.