The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) announced Friday that they heard the appeal against FIFA made by Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Uruguay, and that a decision will come "as soon as possible, probably before the end of next week."
Suarez's first appeal was denied by FIFA in early July. The Uruguay forward was banned for nine international matches as well as all "football-related" activities for four months after biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini during a 2014 FIFA World Cup match.
Players union FIFPro said last month that the ban "lacks clarity," while Chiellini has said he felt the punishment was "excessive."
Suarez apologized to Chiellini in June.
Suarez's new club, Barcelona, begins this season's La Liga with a match on Aug. 24. If Suarez does not win the appeal, he will not be able to play for the club until late October.
More: Report: Barcelona to acquire Arsenal's Vermaelen
- Molly Geary and Sarah Barshop