UNSUPPORTED BROWSER
Planet Futbol

Luis Suarez's four-month suspension for bite upheld

Luis Suarez's four-month suspension for bite upheld Photo:

The Court of Arbitration for Sport has ruled that Luis Suarez's four-month suspension for biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup will be upheld, but it has cleared him to train with Barcelona.

Suarez's lawyers also said that the striker will be allowed to play in Uruguay's international friendlies in September and October, according to Richard Conway of the BBC

The Uruguay forward was banned for nine international matches as well as all "football-related" activities for four months after biting Chiellini during a 2014 FIFA World Cup match. 

Last week, Suarez's lawyers said they were attempting to cut the ban in half with the appeal. This was the second time the striker had appealed the ruling. His first appeal was denied by FIFA in early July. 

More: Premier League head: Luis Suarez 'an accident waiting to happen'​

Players union FIFPro said last month that the ban "lacks clarity," while Chiellini has said he felt the punishment was "excessive." 

Suarez apologized to Chiellini in June. 

Suarez's new club, Barcelona, begins this season's La Liga with a match on Aug. 24. Suarez will not be able to play for the club until late October, but can train and take part in promotional opportunities for the club.

Richard Conway has the full statement from the CAS on its ruling. 

Suarez has previously been suspended for biting PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal and Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.

More: Best-case, worst-case scenarios for every Premier League team

- Sarah Barshop

 

More Planet Futbol

SI.com

Drag this icon to your bookmark bar.
Then delete your old SI.com bookmark.

SI.com

Click the share icon to bookmark us.