UEFA is investigating Italian football federation president Carlo Tavecchio for alleged racist comments, the organization announced Wednesday.
Tavecchio, 71, was elected the head of Italian soccer last Monday. He is accused of making racist comments last month while discussing how many foreign players should be permitted in Italian leagues.
More: UEFA punishes 3 European clubs for racism from fan
From The Guardian:
Quoted by the newspaper La Repubblica, Tavecchio said: “England identifies the players coming in and, if they are professional, they are allowed to play.
“Here, on the other hand, let’s say there’s [fictional player] Opti Poba, who has come here, who previously was eating bananas and now is a first-team player for Lazio. In England he has to demonstrate his CV and his pedigree.”
In a statement, UEFA said it has informed Tavecchio of the investigation.
"Once the report has been completed, the Uefa chief ethics and disciplinary inspector will submit its conclusions to the control>, ethics and disciplinary body to render a decision about this matter.”
More: New coach Conte vows to return Italy to top
Barcelona's Big Three
On Tuesday's SI Now, Sports Illustrated senior writer Grant Wahl discusses how strong Barcelona's offense is with Luis Suárez joining the team and who their biggest competition is this season.
- Paul Palladino