Bayern Munich 'obliged' to consider signing Dortmund's Marco Reus
Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said the team is "obliged" to consider signing Borussia Dortmund's Marco Reus, according to Sport 1, via Goal.com.
The 25-year-old attacker is a member of Germany's national team, but missed the World Cup after tearing ligaments in his ankle. He re-injured the same ankle while playing for Germany last month and has not played since Sept. 7. Reus has three seasons remaining on his current contract with Dortmund.
Rummenigge previously said Reus' buyout with Dortmund will drop from $44.7 million to $31.9 million after this season. He said the team does its due diligence whenever a German player becomes available.
"If a German international has an exit clause and his contract is running out, Bayern is obliged to think about him," Rummenigge said. "With Marco Reus, his release clause is known."
"Whether we deal with it, I cannot seriously predict. We've talked too little internally about the subject. There are many great clubs from other countries who would be interested in signing Marco Reus.
"Of course they [Dortmund] will try to extend his contract. But at the end of the day the player will decide what he wants."
In two games this season for Dortmund, Reus has one goal and one assist. He scored 16 goals and had 13 assists in 30 games last season.
In August, Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp said he was confident Reus would remain with the club for the long-term, via Goal.com.
"I have a very good feeling about the Marco Reus situation," Klopp was quoted as saying by Bild. "He will continue to play for Dortmund for a long time."
Bayern has started the Bundesliga season unbeaten at 5-2-0 and has a four point lead for first place. They are the two-time defending Bundesliga champions.
- Paul Palladino