Morocco banned from Africa Cup of Nations after refusing to host
The Confederation of African Football has expelled Morocco from the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations after the country refused to host the event due to concerns about the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, CAF announced on Tuesday.
The CAF Executive Committee met on Tuesday in Cairo after Morocco requested the tournament to be postponed to 2016. The tournament is scheduled to take place this January and February, and CAF said it intends to hold the tournament during that period.
The Executive Committee said several countries have applied to host the event following Morocco's withdrawal, but no replacement has been chosen yet.
The Executive Committee took note of receipt by 10 November, 2014 of some applications of national associations confirming their desire to host the 2015 competition on the dates agreed. These applications are currently under review, and the Executive Committee will finalize the selection of the successful National Association shortly and confirm the place and date of the draw of the final tournament at the same time.
Morocco said it was concerned that West Africans traveling for the tournament could pose a problem for their citizens.
Earlier this year, CAF canceled matches in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone, the only three countries in the world with widespread Ebola outbreak.
- Paul Palladino