Tuesday December 16th, 2014

The FIFA Disciplinary Committee dismissed complaints by two whistleblowers who were interviewed during the investigation of the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Soccer's governing body said that Disciplinary Committee chairman Claudio Sulser ruled “there were no grounds to justify the opening of disciplinary proceedings and that any confidentiality breach claims brought against the committee had no substance.”

No names were mentioned in the statement, but it is believed that Phaedra Almajid, who worked on the Qatar bid, and Bonita Mersiades, who worked for the Australia campaign, were the two that filed the complaints.

Sulser said the two women "had gone public with their own media activities long before" Hans Joachim Eckert's investigation summary into the bidding process was published last month.

Eckert published a 42-page summary of the investigation, which found no wrongdoing in the way that Russia and Qatar won their bids for the right to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, respectively.

FIFA says the chairman of the investigatory chamber did not rely on any material received from the participants in the investigation in reaching the conclusion in the report.

Ethics prosecutor Michael Garcia said in a letter to Sulser that the complaints were “without merit” and "that there had been no infringements by Eckert."

- Scooby Axson

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.