Football League rejects Leeds owner Massimo Cellino's appeal
The Football League's Professional Conduct Committee rejected an appeal by Leeds United owner Massimo Cellino against the recent decision by the league's board to disqualify Cellino from owning the team under the owners' and directors' test after an Italian court found him guilty of tax evasion last year.
Cellino was forced resign as director of the Leeds football club “forthwith,” and is disqualified from acting as a 'Relevant Person', until April 10.
Cellino acquired 75 percent ownership of the club last February, and the Football League handed down its punishment of Cellino after it obtained documents from an Italian court following their verdict against Cellino.
“We consider that the judge’s findings of fact and her description of Mr. Cellino’s state of mind based on them, is of conduct which would reasonably be considered to be dishonest," the Professional Conduct Committee said.
The Football League said that a misconduct charge against Cellino will be heard at a later date. Cellino is accused of failing to supply the Italian Court judgment to the league when it first became available.
Leeds is 20th in the 24-team Sky Bet Championship table.
- Scooby Axson